Total Pageviews

Monday, 12 August 2024

Lagos COWS 2/24: 07.08.2024 : The Bare Minimum

 As usual, despite the promotional addendums to the last blog, the call this week fell on stony ground. 

   It went like this:- The call circular-


COWS Official walk 2. Wednesday 7th August, I will lead a walk for the bold insomniacs (??) from Bar Quim. Boardwalk starting  at 8am..only the first 20 to arrive will be enrolled! The format, walk out, - swim ' walk back, remains the same. Brekker to be discussed.. If you are late call me on WhatsApp or mobile 939389796


Looking East

I even included a couple of alluring pics taken on the recce the previous day to demonstrate the deserted beach early with no TV crews nor paparazzi to embarrass the less confident COWS



Looking West


Actually there were more replies than expected

Lesley, who the previous week had intimated that she might join the walk, had clearly read the blog and/or been apprised of the pioneering nature of the walks and replied.

"I won't be able to make it, though a swim sounds mighty appealing! My volunteer day had been changed from Monday to Wednesday this week."

Sonja, a notorious night bird, chimed in:-

" I wish I could wake up early enough to join you"

  Myriam took this one and replied:-

" You can join us for breakfast!"

No  answer came the stern reply!

Several others had unbreakable alibis, but at least Antje replied :-

"Have a swim for both of us"

Lesley added

"And me 😉"


and Maria finished with a rather insincere/facetious/mocking

"Sorry I'd love to go but not possible. Enjoy.😎


And so - at the appointed hour Myriam and I briefly visited the Bar Quim Car Park, more in hope than expectation, and then set off towards the mole.

I tried a starter selfie, but as I make no claims to digital dexterity, it failed to come out. For the sake of those who are curious, instead I submit a photo of us taken on my recent birthday cruise.



We reached the eastern end of out walk without incident and met almost no one, I feel moved to imclude a photo to demonstrate you do not need to be Brad Pitt (nor indeed Bella Hadid) to go on a COWS walk.


Selfie concentration


An accidentally arty but discrete pic of Myriam

At then end of the beach there was a very large rope stuck in the rocks of the mole -




I am sure there is s well know phrase or saying there! There were also a couple of logs around.

On the way back there was a fresh fish!



I wanted to take it back for Jasper, but SWMBO put her foot down (and crushed it into the sand!!)

For the record, I did have a swim for Antje, Chris and Lesley, but it turned out to be at least 2C colder than the previous Sunday so I didn't linger.

After the walk which measured the usual 4.5 km and took under 2 hours, we decided to visit Christina at Gato and I had one of Lagos' top TMs, while Myriam contented herself with a croissant. The coffee was excellent too, and Myriam liked her tea cup.






  • And there you have it. If there is another blank Wednesday in the calendar
  • then we will renact the whole thing, hopefully with a little more support'
  • Remember " It is better to have played and blushed than never to have played at all!!"

  • I will leave you with a nostalgic look at how things were before wokes, PC, diversity warriors and LGBT took over the world




  •     
                                                                                                                    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.